2/19/08

FADE TO BLACK



No eyes were more expressive
when your joy was still intact
But when the pain engulfed you so,
I watched your eyes go flat.
As if a shadow hid their beauty,
as if your spirit could no longer shine;
I closely watched your eyes those days,
I studied them with mine,
and when you could no longer hide your pain
I watched them fade to black
and I am forced to face the truth
that we will never have you back.



Those last few weeks you graced this earth
everything about you changed.
Your smile was false, your light was gone
no expressiveness remained.
As if the inate core of you went cold,
as if your sweet and loving side
was suddenly hollow and without joy
and the deepest part of you had died.
And you could no longer hide your pain
so I watched you fade to black
and I cry now when forced to face the truth
that we will never have you back.



A friend who is my very age,
but wiser and more enlightened by years
just told me "He smiled for us as long as he could.."
and you did, you tried so hard to hide your fears.
As if pretending to pretend could make you well
as if with a smile you could make us believe
that you were fine and your soul was whole,
that you would never purposefully leave.
And yet instead you made the choice
to allow yourself to fade to black
and I have learned to accept the truth
that we will never have you back.



October 2, 2007
For Peter



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of my all time favourite poems and the picture of Pete is just wonderful. Sigh!
Anita

Anonymous said...

hi cherie i love peter`s poems they are so beautiful love cindy